Cooking with children can be lots of fun! Especially when there are several ingredients that need to be measured and mixed and you can incorporate a learning experience, building on their mathematical and tactile skills.
It is also an opportunity to teach them about sometimes foods and eating everything in moderation.If the result includes a delicious treat, why not spoil your family with this delightful slice!
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
3/4 cup shredded coconut
Zest 1 lemon
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarb soda, mixed into 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Line an 18x28cm slice tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, coconut & lemon zest.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup. Once melted, scrape in the bicarb/water mix and stir well.
- Pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir to combine well. Tip into your baking tray and press down evenly. Use the back of a spoon to press down firmly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin before slicing.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
For a printable version click here
Courtesy of Vege Smugglers